Should you declare yourself “Sovereign”?

When you are pulled over by the police, you have options.  One option is to act politely and give the proper documentation to the officer and go from there.  Another option is to declare yourself a “Sovereign citizen” and refuse to cooperate, leaving only two possible outcomes:

1. You magically pop yourself to another place and time.

2. You get arrested – usually not in a gentle manner.


This is an example of the latter.  When asked for his license this man tells police he doesn’t have to give him his license.

By law, if you are stopped while driving a car or motorcycle in South Carolina, you must provide your license, registration and proof of insurance .

This man decided that he never agreed to obey the laws so they weren’t for him.

“This police man just broke my d – – – car window for no d – – – reason,” the Florida man says on Instagram.

“Good thing I got on camera. The struggle continues! We won’t let them, no one, stop us from success we have waiting for us!” he said.

The man posted video to an Instagram page showing a March 10 incident involving a Santee officer breaking the window of a vehicle. Since the video was posted on April 12, it’s received more than 170,000 views.

Video showing a fuller picture of the traffic stop was recorded by a dashcam in Santee Patrolman Logan Riley Null’s patrol vehicle.

The thought of being a “Sovereign Citizen” is popular among some people who just don’t like to follow the rules.

If you live in the woods with little human contact it just might work out for you.  But if you live in the real world you will find that the people who write the laws also pay men with guns to enforce them.  It works out rather well for most of us.  Society seems to just keep flowing.


If you choose to think of yourself as a sovereign entity who owes allegiance to no county, be prepared to be met with resistance.  If you choose to obey the laws and cooperate with those in charge it tends to go easier for you.


If you get your ticket and decide to fight it in court (which is your right, and a very good choice in many instances) Call us at (843)249-2252 and we’ll let you know how we can proceed.

A Word of Advice: Don’t tell the police you’re above the law.